Updating from Version 1
The Version 2 files are available for download under the Available Downloads section of your account on our website. You can access this section by clicking the 'My Account' link in the navigation bar of the site. Make sure when downloading the files your browser does not automatically unzip the .zip file, you can adjust this in your browser's settings. If after downloading all you see is a folder containing your theme files, your browser unzipped the files, you can either re-zip the folder, or adjust your browser's settings and re-download the file.
If you purchased your theme prior to March 2013:
In March of 2013 we switched from our old third-party shopping cart and fulfillment provider, to an in-house solution. This means that if you purchased your theme prior to the switch, there was never an account created on our website when purchasing, so you will need to take a couple steps before being able to access the 'My Account' section of our site. We have imported all transactions and previous orders into our current system as well as set up user accounts for those orders. The username used to login to your account will be the email you used for your original purchase. You will however need to reset/select a password before you are able to log in.You can do this by clicking the 'Lost Password?' link next to the Login button when trying to login to the 'My Account' section. Simply enter the original email used and instructions on resetting your password will be mailed to that address. Once you have reset your password you will then be able to login to the My Account section and download the theme files.
Installing the update
You should never install a new theme or update without backing up your existing site. This means backing up your files, database and any custom settings you have. You should note that if any changes were made to the theme files, those changes will be lost upon updating, as all of the theme files are completed deleted and replaced with the new.
First things first: Backup your site!
Most web hosts provide a simple way to backup both your files and databases via a control panel. There are also many WordPress plugins that will create a downloadable backup of your database for you. A popular one is WP-DB-Backup. We also recommend exporting your current customization settings via the Import/Export submenu page of your theme options. In the event that your settings are not transferred completely upon upgrading, this will make it easy to quickly set them to the values they were in Version 1. We highly recommend that you backup your site before you do anything else!
Once you have backed up your site and downloaded the .zip file from the My Account section on our website, and you have exported your theme options on the 'Import/Export' submenu page of the theme options, you are then ready to install it on your site. You can do this by logging in to your sites admin section and navigating to the Manage Themes page located under 'Appearance->Themes' of the WordPress sidebar.
- Deactivate the current theme by activating another theme, any theme will do, the default Twenty Twelve/Twenty Eleven theme is fine.
- Once your theme has been deactivated and another activated, you will need to delete the current version of your theme. Click the red 'Delete' link that shows under the screenshot of your theme, and confirm the deletion.
- Once the old theme files have been deleted you can now upload the new files. Click the 'Install Themes' tab at the top of the page, and then click the 'Upload' link directly under the top tabs. Click the 'Choose File' button and select the .zip file on your hard drive and click open. Once the theme has finished uploading, simply click the 'Activate' link and you're all set.
- After the theme is installed and working, you'll first want to go into the theme options and verify that your settings transferred. If they did, just click the Save button to generate all of the needed styling updates and then proceed with the steps below in the Changes and Steps section. If they did not transfer, click into the Import/Export page where you exported your old settings and upload the export file of your option settings, verify your settings were imported on the options pages and click Save to apply all of the new changes. Then follow the steps below.
Changes and Steps NeededNOTICE - Version 2 is not a 'drop-in' or simple update for Version 1, You WILL have to take action and make selections on various parts of your theme so everything transfers correctly.
As a rule, we always make it a priority to always improve our products and themes as well as trying our best to make them as user friendly and efficient as possible. This includes implementing new methods and technologies as well as keeping things current and up to date with web standards and best practices. While we do our best to minimize changes our customers will have to make when upgrading or updating a theme or plugin, sometimes it's unavoidable, as is the case with some of the new features in Version 2 of our themes.
In an effort to make Version 2 easier and more intuitive to use, we've made multiple changes and enhancements to the core of our themes. While the majority of these changes are automatically applied to your current version 1 settings, there are a few that, unfortunately we're just not able to automatically port over to the new system. Because of this, you will need to take some steps after upgrading to ensure your site is working exactly how you intend it to. While none of the changes will 'break' your current site, as we've put in place some safeguards to prevent this, they will however render pieces of your site differently than they would normally appear. We've listed below, the various updates that will require action on your part after updating from version 1 to version 2 of our themes:
- Galleries - We've completely revamped the gallery system in version 2, the biggest change being that you can now use any images in your media library instead of being required to upload images directly to the gallery. Because of this, you will need to go into each of your galleries and re-select the images you want to use. Since they are already uploaded to the page, you can just select 'Uploaded to this Post' from the drop down box at the top in the 'Add Media' popup, select all the images, and click 'Use Selected Images'.
- Pages - We've also added more controls for individual pages, primarily for Featured Images, their placement, and their Sizing. You'll want to go through each of your pages to select the format in which you want the images displayed. The new options are below the WYSIWYG editor, in the 'Page Setup' tab. (more info on the Documentation Page). After you've set the format, and desired sizing, make sure they are displaying correctly and in the fashion you want them to be displayed.
Theme Specific Changes & Action Needed
As we release the updated version for each theme, we will update the corresponding theme page on our new Documentation site with the details of the changes to the individual theme as well as any steps needed upon installing. Please note that automatic updates for Version 2 themes will be unavailable until all themes have been migrated to the version 2 platform, so subsequent 2.x.x updates will need to be applied manually, just like this initial V2 update. Once all themes have been migrated automatic updating will be available via your WP dashboard.
Quick links to individual theme documentation pages are below: